Friday, May 18, 2012

Love/Hate Relationships

This post is inspired by my sister's post on her love/hate relationship with Mother's Day. http://thefoards.blogspot.com/2012/05/love-hate-relationship.html
My love/hate relationships, however, are with certain toys/activities.  Here are some of the things I love and hate simultaneously.

1 - Play-doh. Maybe it's because some of my children are still pretty young, but this is definitely not a hands-off activity.  "Mom, will you press it down for me." "Mom, will you help me make..." "Waaah, it didn't work." Maybe if I bought new play-doh more frequently, it would constantly be soft and my children would not need me to smash it flat for them. It just always seems to be a fairly time-intensive activity.
2 - Sidewalk chalk. Are there many things messier? They can draw some cool pictures, but everyone ends up covered with chalk and needing to change clothes and wash off.  The baby especially enjoys talk.  It seems to taste good, and crawling through it seems to be extra enjoyable.
3 - Bubbles. Everyone enjoys bubbles, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do bubbles without one or more of my children spilling theirs and being in tears because it's all gone.

I understand that really it's just my laziness that causes me to hate some toys.  But really, if I'm going to spend time doing an activity with my children, I confess that I'd rather have it be something I enjoy also. What toys do you have a love/hate relationship with?

1 comment:

  1. totally laughing. my kids are just now able to play with those things. it's my control issues. the mess is unbareable. for me it's love/hate with legos. the most painful toy to step on. ouch!

    ReplyDelete