Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And so it begins...1st Grade

Thoughts going through my head the day before my oldest child starts 1st grade:
1 - Kindergarten was just a prelude. The real stuff starts in 1st grade. We made it through kindergarten just fine. Hopefully 1st grade goes just as well.
2 - I think I'm more nervous than my daughter is for school to start. I remember how mean kids can be in school and the drama of friends.  I'm hoping my daughter doesn't have to deal with that yet.
3 - I'm going to miss my daughter when she's gone at school all day long. Some parents get excited for their kids to be back in school. I am not. This may have a lot to do with the fact that the other 3 kids are still at home. I feel bad that we get to go and do things every day while she is not with us.
4 - I'm really not looking forward to homework. And when in the world are we going to do it? She won't get home until 2:30, and I want her to still have time to have a snack, play, practice piano, and have some quiet/alone time.
5 - Schedules schedules schedules. I like having a routine, but not a set schedule, if that makes sense. I like having the flexibility to change when we do things. School doesn't really allow for that.


Thoughts going through my head after the first week of school:
1 - I keep thinking it's time to pick her up before lunch. (Kindergarten got out at 10:45am).
2 - My 4 year old had the meltdown the first couple of days, not my 1st grader.  He was so sad to not have his older sister to play with. When she came home, she wanted a snack and a little down time, and he had been waiting all day to play with her and wanted her to start playing immediately.
3 - My 1st grader finally had her meltdown on Friday night.  It consisted of sobbing on the bedding crying "I never want to go back to 1st grade.  I never get to play with [my brother and sister]. I never get to watch movies." It was just tiredness, and by Sunday night she was telling people she loved 1st grade and was excited.
4 - I guess I'm really a control freak. It's hard to know she's gone all day and not know exactly what she is doing at school. Better get used to it.

So, here we go.  School has begun. Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment