Thursday, May 27, 2010

Did you hear my buckle click?

My children reached a new level of independence recently.  My 4 yr old got a car seat that uses the regular seatbelt, so she can buckle herself in (most of the time).  My 2 yr old caught on and can now buckle the chest buckle by himself.  Every time they get in the car, each of them will ask "Did you hear my buckle click?"  In fact, my 4 year old will sometimes even take the car keys before I get out of the house, unlock the car, open the door, and they'll both climb into their seats and buckle themselves.  Wow. 

I'm not sure I'm ready for this.  It's great to think they can do things by themselves, but it's also nice to know that I can make sure they're safely buckled in.  As my husband said, "Next thing you know, she'll be taking the car along with the car keys".  There's something to be said about having some control over your children while they're little.

2 comments:

  1. We totally do they "did I hear a click" thing. we must be related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watch out for those keys disappearing. My kids took my keys and when I found them the car was rolling down the hill.

    ReplyDelete