Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Getting out of the house

It's not an easy thing to take 3 kids out of the house.  For one thing, it takes forever to get a diaper bag packed with diapers, wipes, snacks, tissues, water bottles, hats, etc.  It would be so much easier in some ways to just stay home and never worry about going anywhere.  I had to make a conscious decision to take my kids to a weekly activity, whether it's the library, the park, or wherever.  Inertia will otherwise take over my family and I'll look back and say "Wow, there were some really cool things we could have done and experienced as a family." 

I have a list hanging up on my fridge of free activities and ones that cost money.  When I think of something or see something online or in the paper, I add it to the list.  Not all of the activities work out.  Just last week we drove to what I thought was a free museum (that's what I get for growing up near the Smithsonians) and found out it was going to cost $7 to take my kids.  It wasn't worth it to me, so we drove to the closest park instead.  Sometimes it's exhausting to me as well as to the kids to go do things, but then my 4 year old will say something like "That was the best thing ever!" and I know it was worth it.

It was difficult at first for me to start going on activities without my husband and just with my kids.  For one thing, it's awful helpful to have another set of hands.  But also, I like spending time with him and having him do fun things with us.  It's just not reasonable, though, to wait to do all activities when Dad is home from work in the evenings or on the weekends.  I think I'm adjusting to that and just learning to take lots of pictures and make sure the kids tell Dad about their day and what they've done.

It's getting easier to take the kids out and about, and I'm sure a lot of that is because they're getting older.  If you're nursing or have a baby that takes a bottle, it's even more coordinating that takes place.  But, what a great experience it's been for me to get out of the house and experience so much.  Until I started looking, I had no idea how many free and fun activities there are in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment