Saturday, May 28, 2011

Emergency plan = sleepovers?

We were having a family home evening lesson this week about emergency preparedness.  We talked to the kids about being prepared for emergencies what to do in case of a fire, earthquake, tornado, etc.  We made sure they knew they could find a police officer if they were lost and practiced telling their name, phone number, parents name, and street address.  We asked them what we could do if there was a problem at our home, where we could go nearby that was safe, and they suggested we go to our friends' house that is just behind ours.  Our 5 year old then said rather excitedly, "If you and Dad both died, we could go over to their house and have lots of sleepovers!"

Um, yeah.  I guess we succeeded in not making our lesson too scary.  Hopefully we prepared them a little bit still. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I have read your blog, I saw the post title on Facebook and it caught my attention. It's funny how kids think the same way....a couple of months ago Greg had a reaction to some medication and had to go to the ER in an ambulance. We don't allow sleepovers with friends, but in this case my awesome neighbor took my kids and had them sleepover and got them off to school. I thought both my kids would be traumatized watching their dad leave in an ambulance, but they were so ecstatic they got a sleepover that was all they talked about for days. My little girl keeps asking if one of us can get sick so they can have a sleepover again. Makes you feel loved huh?

    Jonyce

    ReplyDelete