Friday, June 25, 2010

My selfish quiet time

We have quiet time at our house every day.  Both of my older children were done with naps before they were two years old.  So, every day after lunch we have "quiet time".  It's not always quiet unless they're watching a video (and sometimes I feel guilty if they just watch a video during quiet time), but it does mean they're supposed to play without mom. In fact, it should probably be more appropriately named "Don't bug mom time".

Frequently, I come out of quiet time and the house is a complete disaster.  I say "come out" because quiet time is when I hide myself in my office and try to work.  If they come in and I have decided quiet time is not over yet, I make them leave the office.  I've even been so stern as to shut the door so they can't come in.  Quiet time lasts for however long I decide it should last.  It's one of the benefits of my children not yet being able to tell time. The baby goes down for a nap right before quiet time starts, so usually as soon as the baby is awake, quiet time is over.

I've found I've become very selfish about my quiet time.  I get annoyed and cranky if I don't get my quiet time.  It's almost like a 2 year old who doesn't get his way. I was at the park the other day with a friend and her children, watching the kids play, and I found myself checking my watch to see what time it was.  Even though we ate lunch at the park and the kids were having a blast, I started getting anxious for my quiet time to start and nervous that the window of opportunity had passed and I wouldn't get any quiet time for the day. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to the point where I can just go to the park and just enjoy it and spend as much time as my kids want without looking at the time. 

I'm a schedule and routine kind of person, so I guess for me it's comforting to know that each day I'll have that alone time when I can spend time away from the kids and not feel like I'm neglecting them.  I guess I need to have a little more sympathy when my 2 year old has his schedule changed or when my 4 year old doesn't get to spend time doing something that just she wants to do.  Or, and I've seriously considered this, maybe I need to start getting up an hour earlier and having my quiet time before they wake up (although I have a feeling I would probably need to start going to bed earlier for that to happen).  When do you have your quiet time?

2 comments:

  1. Kristie I love quiet time. My children are all past it though. You will get to a point where they can do things and play all by themselves and then you have quiet time alot more. I really don't think you are selfish because every mom needs sometime during the day when she can sit back and enjoy some quiet. I do still get selfish if my kids don't go off to play with kids in the afternoon because that is when the little one takes his nap and I get my time-but somedays it just doesn't work out. The time at the park will come, but then it will be "can we go home, I don't want to play here anymore! Or they will just hang on you instead of playing. I think it is a no win situation. Sorry so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet time for me is when the kids are in school. I get much less of it in the summer! I also spend a lot more time cleaning the house, because it gets messy more quickly. We will all be glad for school to start when the time comes, but for now we are enjoying spending more time together.:)

    ReplyDelete