Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The inevitable question

So my 5 year old daughter finally asked the inevitable question of her pregnant mother.  No, she didn't ask where babies came from.  But she did look at me kind of funny after breakfast today and say "So, how does the baby get out?"  With her, my 3 year old son and my 1 year old daughter staring at me, I paused as I quickly thought of all the different ways I could answer the question.  Do I give her graphic details? Do I lie? Do I make up a story that explains what a beautiful thing childbirth is? Is there a perfect response to this question?

I settled with telling her that some people have their stomachs cut open for the baby to come out, with medicine given to them so it doesn't hurt and they can't feel it.  I told her girls have a place near where they pee where the baby comes out. It's kind of like when you poop.  They thought it was hilarious to think you kind of poop out a baby.  When they're a little bit older, I'm sure I can have a proper discussion with them about how babies are born, but for now, I think they really just wanted to know in basics.  It caught me off guard.  Hopefully I haven't scarred their views of childbirth and their proper scientific learning for life!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Good job! I don't think you have to worry about scarring them. :) Even though you were caught off guard I think you handled it rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Don't you love those mommy moments?

    My oldest asked me the same thing. He was having pooping problems at the time, so it was a great opportunity to explain that I had to push really hard just like he needed to. Something clicked, and he didn't have those problems any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. That's a great explanation. I got asked this question but by my husbands 7 yr old niece! Talk about awkward. Almost as awkward as her 5 year old little brother asking me last weekend how the baby got food and if he could watch.

    ReplyDelete